Saturday, January 30, 2010

Views From my Evening Stroll....

Tonight I took a stroll around the neighborhood with the camera....about 4:30 in the afternoon. A bit early, according to the locals; they all take a stroll between 6 & 8: shopping, etc, waiting for the restaraunts to open up. The dinner places close around 4 & then open up again around 8-ish, so there is time to kill between end of work & dinner :) I am not used to the late dinner thing still, but I like the work schedule here; business starts around 10 am, long lunch break, & work ends around 6:30 pm.... Except the little coffee shops; they open early & many stay open late too, for a quick stop for coffee in the morning on the way to work, or a stop afterwork on the way home for a glass of wine & apetizers before dinner....Anyway, we begin the tour with the view from the front of our apartment; we are on the 4th floor, & I love looking out at the rooftops & little houses on top of the buildings every day...



This is the view from the stairwell, on the 2nd floor; we overlook a little courtyard. Notice the laundry? There are no dryers here; everyone hang drys. I have been scared to do this though, I keep imaginining my underwear falling from the 4th floor & landing on someone in the courtyard....

This is the entrance to our apartment building; the doors must be like 12 feet tall; all the buildings have them; cars can actually drive through to the courtyard inside. When they are closed & locked like this every night, you have to use a key to open a mini door within the big door...




And here we are, walking down the little street: this is my fav. street near our apt; it almost feels like an alley, but there are little shops & restaraunts all along it; lots of little tiny artist studios & design firms---makes me wish I could rent a little tiny studio with living quarters & set up shop while here....next trip, perhaps :)



A tower crane; there are tons of them all over the city; seems to be lots of construction going on....


This is one of those little artist studios; this lady does all sorts of funky jewelry & accessories; the space is tiny, as you can see, but it adds to the charm :)



Another lovely buiding & cool restaraunt that I wish I could afford to try :)




And this is the entrance to a really schwanky looking restaraunt/lounge. Love the lights & the wooden ceiling; the restaraunt is actually through the doors to the right; all decorated really cool like this; I stood there like a tourist gawking---peering through the windows & wishing husband was here to take me to dinner....



Another cute little street with all sorts of nifty shops; just at sunset...




Love this door....notice the mini door? So funny :)



And yet another cute little shop; I want one!! This one is only about the size of my office, but its sooo cool :)
And finally, back on the 4th floor of the apartment building :) This has been my favorite part of being here; actaully feeling like a local (sort of) & experiencing everyday life here. Love the tiny little grocery store around the corner with the owner who barely speaks English, but somehow reccomends the best wine, & the cute little coffe shop just down the street: same thing: locally owned by a very Italian guy who has only said one word of English so far... But after stopping in everyday, he makes my cappicino just the way I like it as soon as I walk in & smiles at my attempts to say things in his language :)
We are in a very non-touristy area & I like it; the people we see on the street are coming & going to work, school, business; living life. I am finding that I really like it here; I could picture living & working here.... perhaps someday.....













No comments:

Post a Comment